Rescue workers pull 7 others from under the rubble of a collapsed hotel in China | Construction News


Teams are combing through debris after a budget hotel collapsed in the eastern city of Suzhou on Monday afternoon.

State media said, on Tuesday, that rescuers pulled seven other survivors from under the rubble of a 54-room budget hotel that collapsed in the eastern city of Suzhou.

The Seiji Kaiyuan Hotel collapsed on Monday afternoon, and authorities initially said one person had died.

On Tuesday, the state-run People’s Daily said eight people had been confirmed dead and 14 rescued. It added that nine people were still missing.

No further information was provided about the cause of the collapse.

The three-story hotel had 54 rooms, according to its listing on travel website Ctrip.

One resident said the building was about 30 years old and was through a number of Sixth Tone owners, a sister media outlet reported. She added that there had been construction work on the hotel before it collapsed.

State media said 600 firefighters and seven rescue dogs had been sent to the site of the collapse [CNS /AFP]

Pictures of rescue workers dressed in orange showed them sifting through large piles of rubble. State media said that more than 600 firefighters, 112 fire engines and seven rescue dogs have been deployed to the site.

Suzhou is a historic city of over 12 million people located about 100 kilometers (60 miles) west of Shanghai and is a popular destination for tourists who are drawn to its centuries-old canals and gardens.

Building collapses or accidents are not uncommon in China, often due to lax building standards or corruption.

The collapse of a quarantine hotel in the southern Chinese city of Quanzhou last March killed 29 people, and authorities later found that three floors had been illegally added to the original building of the four-story building.

Last August, a banquet hall in northern Shanxi Province collapsed during a birthday party, killing 29 people in an accident linked to the use of substandard materials.

In May, authorities evacuated people from one of China’s tallest skyscrapers, SEG Plaza in the southern city of Shenzhen, after it shook several times over several days.

The SEG Plaza in Shenzhen was temporarily closed in May after it began to shake unexpectedly, sparking widespread panic. [File: Noel Celis/AFP]





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *